That Loving Feeling
by Rovan Deon
by Rovan Deon
Can you remember the first time you picked up the guitar? How exciting it was? How those intriguing emotions swept your entire body? For that fleeting moment nothing else existed; it was just you and your guitar. You felt elation that could only happen by pouring your entire energies (physical and mental) into an intensified concentrative action.
Once you have experienced these feelings, your mind begins to search for new and creative ways to recreate it. You have now begun your journey into the wonderful abyss of becoming a guitar god. Your life has now changed forever. One guitar has now grown into two, three, four and beyond. You no longer put all your guitars away but keep at least one out so you can grab it when the mood hits you. You begin to buy books, DVDs, music of your favorite artist, fake books, and browse the internet for countless articles and educational material. You may also find yourself flashing the rock sign while sticking out your tongue or practicing your Rock face in the mirror. You say to yourself what can be better than this?
Somehow along the way, however, you have lost that loving feeling. You no longer want to play the guitar as much as you use to. You tell yourself, why won’t my fingers move in a certain way when I tell them to and why can’t I solo worth a damn? Why am I not getting any better? Well there may be a couple of reasons:
1. You have forgotten the reasons that you picked up the guitar in the first place.
2. You have chosen the path of just playing songs, not realizing in order to see any meaningful results, you have to develop clear and concise goals that fuel your practice regime.
3. You haven’t incorporated the proper devices into your practice - A metronome – A tuner, and a timer. Nor do you realize that there are specific ways to see maximum results from these devices.
4. Out of frustration you begin to play with more tension
5. Not realizing that the road to guitar god takes time.
6. Not remembering that – Quality time in equals Quality results out.
7. Have not incorporates some sort of ear training.
8. Did not set enough ample time to improvise. Yes this will take time too. Start simple. Soon you will begin to see some very positive results. Always keep track and WRITE down your progress.
9. Don’t become over whelmed. You won’t learn all this material even in three life times so enjoy the journey.
10. Always end your practice regime with a reward of something that you like to do.
So if you want your Mojo back, detach for a moment and regroup. Take a deep breath and tell yourself once again that you are awesome! You can do this! Find that fire that you felt the first time you picked up the guitar. Now take a look at some of the things that was suggested in this article. And do it! No I don’t mean all at once. Remember this is a journey. Three life times won’t be enough to learn every thing in this wonderful abyss of becoming a guitar god. This should not discourage you but excite you. Take things nice and slow. Implementing the first three items on this list alone will yield massive results. Always track your progress by writing down exactly what you are working on, the date, for how long, and the speed that you were able to play clean from every pre planned practice session. Yes I said pre planned. Push yourself in every practice. Allow yourself a 5 to 10 minute warm up. For those things that are giving you the most difficulties, allow yourself no less than 20 min to work toward mastery. I give myself no less than 40 minutes. If you are making great progress on a skill then keep it fresh and allow yourself 10 minutes. Make sure you are using a timer to ensure that you are getting the most from your practice. This will also force you to stay on task. By keeping a record of your progress, you will soon see something magical happening, you will see growth!
So take this opportunity to reignite the fire. Remember the first time you picked up the guitar and how exciting it was? Remember how those intriguing emotions swept your entire body. For that fleeting moment nothing else existed; it was just you and your guitar. You felt elation that could only happen by pouring your entire energies (physical and mental) into an intensified concentrative action.
Isn’t it nice to know that you are back! Isn’t it nice to know that there is a way to get that loving feeling? Come on you can do this! Isn’t it nice to know that there is no force on earth that can stop you from achieving this goal other than you? That’s right you! For you have the power! You my friends are invincible! So arise and fulfill your destiny!
Sign up for your free Members Only Section!
It’s my way of saying thank you for taking the time for allowing me to share the joys of music and to spread a couple of gold nuggets of knowledge along the way. Waiting, you will find tabs, backing tracks and music downloads. This section will allow you to take control and take your guitar playing to new heights.
So what are you waiting for. Lets get signed up.
Signed: The Duke
© 2011 All Rights Reserved